Chester

Old Prison Yard, Shipgate St
19 Old Bank buildings, Foregate street
Corn Exchange
Thomas Street
Volunteer Street*
39 Pepper Street
Albion Street*
(* see comment below)

Old Prison Yard, Shipgate St
HQ,1,2 Cheshire Batteries (1st & 2nd) Royal Field Artillery, Ammunition Column Cheshire Bde

19 Old Bank buildings
Foregate street HQ, ds B Cheshire (Earl of Chester's) Yeomanry Territorial Force

Corn Exchange
Head quarters, B Squadron (Kelly 1896)

Thomas Street HQ
A,B Sect Welsh Border Mounted Brigade Famb RAMC (in 1909 listed as St Michaels hall, Volunteer st)

Volunteer Street
Territorial Force 5th (Earl of Chester's) Battalion Cheshire Regiment; head quarters, the Drill hall, Volunteer st. (Kelly 1914) HQ,B,E 5 Cheshire 39 Pepper street Artillery Volunteers 1st Cheshire & Carnarvonshire (Southern division) Royal Artillery; head quarters

39 Pepper street;
position battery, No. 2 Company (Kelly 1896)

Albion Street

HQ A-E 2 VB Cheshire (Kelly 1896)

The Volunteer Drill Hall was situated in the centre of Chester, where Volunteer street meets Albion street. The drill hall faced down Volunteer Street. *Its location is described variously at each location, often within the same directory.

In the mid-1860s, a small group of new streets was built on the former gardens of the Albion Hotel: Albion Place, Albion Street, and Volunteer Street were laid out in the mid 1860s. The streets had terraced working-class housing. The centrepiece of the area was the new Volunteer Drill Hall, erected by public subscription in 1869 at a cost of 2,500. Built of red sandstone in an 'Edwardian castellated' style, it was for the use of the Chester Artillery and Rifle Volunteers. The building was extended through to Duke Street in the 1900s, resulting in the demolition of almshouses and two courts. Only the front elevation survived in 2000.

Kelly, 1914, describes the above building being in 'Albion street, erected 1869 at a cost of about 2,500; it is a building of stone with embattled front and a tower.'

The facade remains (2005). It is the curious turreted building you can see at the end of Albion Street. The conversion has been re-named Albion Mews.

Further information about this Drill Hall is here.


Albion Street Elevation


View from east along Albion Stree t


View from west along Albion Street


Commemorative plaque adjacent to gateway


Albion Street elevation by night

© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy