The Volunteer Drill Hall was on Drill
Field Road, off London Road.
The site of the Drill Hall was behind where the Volunteer Inn now
stands. The drill field was to the rear of the site.
According to Kelly, 1896, the Drill Hall was erected in 1867. It was
a 'spacious edifice of brick, holding about 500 people and is let
for concerts and lectures.' Records suggest that it may have been
used as a temporary sessions house.
Until recently, Northwich Victoria's football field was the Drill
Field, named because it was originally where the local volunteers
met to do their drill, and camps were held where others from all over
Cheshire would meet up for regular practice. The Drill Field has now
been built on for housing.
Image produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk
service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance
the first attempt at content
The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy