D Squadron Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry; Riding school, Swift’s row.’ (Kelly, 1914)
‘4th East Lancashire (Heavy) Brigade Royal Field Artillery; 1st Cumberland Battery, Albert house, Albert street.’ (Kelly, 1914)
‘4th (Cumberland & Westmorland) Battalion The Border Regiment (A & B Cos.), Swifts lane, Strands road.’
The drill hall on Strands road was built in 1873 and opened in 1874. During the Great War, from September 1915 to early 1916, it was taken into use as the East Cumberland Shell Factory. (Source: firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk) It was a popular venue for wrestling events. In 1969, it was opened as a sports centre by Dennis Howell. We would be grateful for up-to-date information on the status of this drill hall.
Prior to the erection of this drill hall, there are records of a wooden theatre which the Rifle Volunteers took over and used as a drill shed. It is marked on the 1865 Ordnance Survey map.