L Company, 1st Cumberland Rifle Volunteers
D Company, 5th (Cumberland) Battalion, Border Regiment
ds 'B' Squadron Westmorland & Cumberland Yeomanry
The Cockermouth entry in Bulmer's History & Directory Of Cumberland, 1901 records, ‘The Drill Hall, in St. Helens street, was erected in 1886, chiefly through the exertions of E.L. Waugh, Esq., and members of the family. It is the headquarters of the L. Company, 1st C.R.V.’ Following the Territorial reforms of 1908 this unit became D Company, 5th (Cumberland) Battalion, Border Regiment.
It is understood that the Cockermouth and Papcastle Recreational Charity is funded from the sale of the drill hall in 1923, the funds remaining untouched until 1994. (Source: Cockermouth and Papcastle Recreational Charity web page on papcastle.org.uk)