'6th Battalion Devonshire Regiment, head quarters [plus A & H Cos.], Castle street.' (Kelly, 1914)
Royal North Devon (Hussars) and B Squadron
Early references in Kelly, 1889, record an Armoury at the market. By 1893, Kelly records the head quarters of A & B Companies of the 4th Volunteer Battalion Devonshire Regiment as being at Castle Street. Kelly, 1889, notes headquarters at Diamond street and also Newport (Kelly, 1893). We have seen an archive postcard which confirms the Castle street premises.
Kelly, 1914, notes: 'Royal North Devon (Hussars); headquarters [and B Squadron], 19 Bear street.'
We have a reference to a drill hall on Ashleigh road, in connection with Major Manaton of the Home Guard Unit. The drill hall is marked on the 1932 Ordnance Survey map, east of the junction of Fort Terrance and Oakleigh road, west of Ashleigh road, south of the schools parallel to Fort street and adjacent to the allotment gardens. It is not marked on the 1905 map. We would be grateful for further information.