'2nd Devonshire Battery 4th Wessex Brigade Royal Field Artillery, Drill hall.' ... 'head quarters, Public hall.' (Kelly, 1914)
'The Drill hall, built in 1912 for the use of the Territorials and National reserve and the police force, contains a shooting range.' (Kelly, 1914)
Kelly, 1889, notes a Battery at Well street. In 1893, he records 9th Co. 1st Devonshire Volunteer Artillery Drill Hall / public hall.
The Drill Shed was designed by George Soudon Bridgman, a local architect known for buildings all over South Devon.