'4th Battalion Devonshire Regiment (E Co.), Drill hall, King street, West Exe.' (Kelly, 1914
ds 'A' Squadron Royal 1st Devon Yeomanry
Kelly, 1889, refers to Newport Street and in 1893 to E Company 3rd Volunteer Battalion Devonshire Regiment, Newport street.
'The drill and public hall, erected by the volunteers of Tiverton, was opened in 1884, from plans prepared by Mr. Mitchell, of Southampton, and comprises a drill hall, armoury, and dwelling house for the sergeant instructor; the total outlay in respect of the hall and other portions of the premises was about £3,000; the walls are of Westleigh stone, pointed externally and plastered on the inside; the hall is 80 feet by 50 feet, and at the southern end is an alcove with platform, the arch overhead being 15 feet radius with a plaster mouldings, turned to carry the gable end and roof, and the roof is domed so as to carry sound to the hall; on either side are retiring rooms, which, together with the back of the platform, are built of brick; the front of the building is of red brick, with Bath stone dressings; it will hold 1,250 persons; a small hall on the east side, 40 feet by 22 feet, and holding 150 persons, was erected in 1885.' (Kelly, 1902)
'The head quarters of E Company 4th Devon Regiment, a building of red brick, in King street, is now (1914) in course of erection at an estimated cost of £2,500; the main building will consist of instruction quarters, recreation and billiard rooms and offices; at the rear is the drill hall, with waiting rooms and a miniature range.' (Kelly, 1914)
The photographs of Lambhay Green Drill Hall were taken by Peter Hayward. We are very grateful.