ds 'E' 6 Devonshire
Volunteer Battalion (4th) Devonshire Regiment (L Co. Capt Percy W G Shelley; Wm. C. Carter, drill instructor) 1902, 1906
According to the Congregational Federation website, the premises in Fore street started life as a First Chapel British School in 1845. When a new school was built in 1898, the old school became a drill hall. (Eventually it was used as the Church Hall.)
Extract from the Tiverton and South Molton Gazette:
May 24th 1902: Rifle Range for Witheridge
'The Volunteer Movement in Witheridge has made rapid strides since a section was formed in March 1900.The Company now numbers about 110 men under Captain Shelley and Lieutenants Cruwys and Gurney. The Vicar readily assented to a range on his property at Bradford in the tenancy of Mr Wreford, who also gave his consent. It was decided to make Saturday week the opening day. The weather was very rough, the honour of firing the first shot was accorded to Mrs Shelley, and when the signal was given for a bull, there was a hearty cheer. The Vicar also proved himself a steady shot. All present then had a few shots each at 200 and 500 yards, and returned to the village to partake of a luncheon provided at the Angel Hotel by Host Fradd. The afternoon was spent in the Drill Hall, where there was some very good Morris Tube shooting.'
Reproduced from the Witheridge Historical Archives site, with permission from David Taylor. Thank you.