4th Territorial Battalion, Essex Regiment
‘8th (Cyclist) Battalion Essex Regiment (G Co.), Drill hall, Ongar road.’
Essex Yeomanry (Brentwood Troop, D Squadron)
Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade
(References Kelly, 1914)
‘1st Volunteer Battalion Essex Regiment; the F company of the Battalion is stationed here.’ (Kelly, 1894)
‘The 4th Territorial Battalion of the Essex Regiment has its head quarters at the Drill Hall, Ongar road, a commodious and substantial edifice of brick, erected in 1886, at a cost of £2,000. The Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade have also head quarters in Ongar road.’ (Kelly, 1914)
From information in Essex SEAX site, this drill hall is shown on a 1920 map ‘about 70 yards north of the High street / Ongar road junction on the west side of Ongar road’ and it seems to have been opposite numbers 13 and 15. It was apparently still shown on aerial photographs in 1944. This drill hall has been demolished.