Other Drill Halls

Governor’s Green
Kelly, 1911. records ‘Hampshire Royal Garrison Artillery; No. 4 Co.’ This unit had a drill hall at Governor's Green, adjacent to the Royal Garrison Church, but it was demolished sometime around WW2. In the diamond-shaped plot, with Penny street and Pembroke road forming the upper two perimeters, the Drill Hall is shown towards the bottom apex, south east of the Royal Garrison Church and to the south west of a bowling green and Pembroke Gardens. This is consistent with a reference in Kelly, 1898, which places it at the junction of Penny street and Pembroke road.

This drill hall has completely disappeared and its site is grassed over.

Thank you to Keith Roberts for his site visit.

Commercial road
Hampshire (Fortress) Royal Engineers; head quarters, Commercial road.’ (Kelly, 1911)

Marmion road
In Kelly, 1899, Marmion road is listed as the Headquarters of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Hampshire Royal Garrison Artillery
Photograph not available
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy