‘4th Battalion Hampshire Regiment; head quarters, A Company, Castle hill.’ (Kelly, 1911)
‘4th Battalion Hampshire Regiment; B Company, Training college.’ (Kelly, 1911)
ds Headquarters Company Wessex AS
ds 3rd Wessex Field Ambulance RAMC
Times Mon May 21 1945: Winchester. Field Marshall Montgomery visited the old drill hall of the 4th Battalion, The Hampshire Regiment, now part of the Y.M.C.A.
Kelly, 1911, records: ‘head quarters, 41 Sussex street. HQ,B Squadron Hampshire (Carabiniers) Yeomanry’
Hyde Close was built in 1795 by Sir John Soane as an academy for a Rev. Richards, latterly used as a carpet showroom and now dwellings. This building is listed on the www.hantsnet.gov.uk website as being of ‘Red brick with hipped slate roof. Sash windows with arched heads in arched recesses. Central recess has double doors. Formerly used as a drill hall.’