C Co. 1st (Hertfordshire), Volunteer Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment
Essex Yeomanry (C squadron, No. 1 Troop)
Kelly records ‘C Co. 1st (Hertfordshire), Volunteer Battalion, Bedfordshire Regiment; White Horse yard, North street.’
By 1908 the (now C) company was shown at ‘Market square, Bishop Stortford and Amwell end, Ware.’ Kelly, 1914 included ‘Drill hall and Armoury.’
It also listed Essex Yeomanry (C squadron, No. 1 Troop)
According to the Bishops Stortford local history website, the drill hall was built in 1906, part of a proposed project to commemorate Cecil Rhodes with a memorial comprising assembly rooms and a drill hall. Apparently, Lord Kitchener advised building a drill hall. Funding of the drill hall was from £3000 raised for the proposals, but there was inadequate money to complete the rest of the plans. It was apparently intended to accommodate Volunteers and horses, with a wide entrance to reflect this. We understand that the premises were also used for social events, such as dances.
This drill hall is extant and is in use by health services. It seems perhaps to have been extended somewhat unsympathetically. The large arched entrance door at the front has been partially bricked up to created windows. The purpose of the building is clearly stated in attractive lettering in the engraved frieze above the door. A diamond-shaped date-stone records its date: 1906.
Former main entrance
Inscribed frieze over entrance