Tonbridge

Bank street

4th Battalion The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment
No. 1 Company Kent Fortress Royal Engineers
Kent Cyclist Battalion
4th Battalion "The Queen's Own" Royal West Kent Regiment
Armoury and drill hall of C Company of 4th battalion
No. 1 (Works) Company Kent Fortress Royal Engineers (Territorial Force)

ds 'C' Squadron West Kent Yeomanry

'The Territorial Force stationed at Tonbridge comprise the 4th Battalion The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment); the No. 1 Company Kent Fortress Royal Engineers and the Kent Cyclist Battalion, all having their head quarters in the new Drill hall, erected in 1910 on the site of the old corn exchange, at a cost of 1,000.' (Kelly 1913)

'The Drill Hall, in Bank street, erected in 1910 on the site of the old Corn Exchange, at a cost of 1,000, is the head quarters of the 4th Battalion "The Queen's Own" Royal West Kent Regiment, and the armoury and drill hall of C Company of that battalion. No. 1 (Works) Company Kent Fortress Royal Engineers (Territorial Force) and the Kent Cyclists' Battalion also have their head quarters here (Kelly 1914)


Of the Drill Hall, Bank street, Kelly, 1913 records: 'Kent (Fortress) Royal Engineers (No. 1 [Works] Company); head quarters', '4th Battalion, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment); head quarters [and C Company]' and 'Kent Cyclist Battalion; head quarters [and B Company].'
Photograph not available
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy