'B' Sqn Sherwood RangersThe extract from
the Ordnance Survey map of 1917 is reproduced by permission of Mansfield
'D' 8 Sherwood Foresters
According to Kelly, 1904, B Sqn Sherwood Rangers were based at Dame
Kelly 1891 and 1904 list the head quarters, armoury & drill hall
of D Company 4th Nottinghamshire Volunteer Battalion at West gate.
The drill hall in Mansfield is marked on the 1917 Ordnance Survey
map. It is in the vicinity of, and would have been approached from,
Meeting House Lane. Nothing at all remains, as this whole area is
now the new Four Season's Shopping Centre.
Kelly's record of a drill hall in Westgate is not substantiated
by local records, memory or maps. Any further information would
be welcome. .
However, Cromwell House, Westgate was bought and used for military
purposes during the Great War. According to the North Mansfield
Advertiser, it was the Headquarters of 12th Volunteer Battalion
Sherwood Foresters. Originally a private residence, it was bought
in October, 1916 and sold in April, 1919. .
Many thanks to David Crute at Mansfield Library for his help.