D Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry
‘The local head quarters of the Shropshire Royal Horse Artillery is at the Drill hall in King street, a building of red brick, erected in 1889 at a cost of £900.’ (Kelly, 1913) He also notes: ‘D Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry, head quarters, King street.’ (Kelly, 1913)
In 1889 a battery of the 1st Shropshire & Staffordshire Artillery Volunteers opened a drill hall in King Street. It was kept in use as a Headquarters until 1946, and remains in use by a Cadet unit.
Kelly, 1913, also records, ‘4th Battalion The King’s (Shropshire Light Infantry) (C Co.), Armoury & Drill hall, Market Hall buildings.’ This is also described as the C (Wellington and Market Drayton) Company.