ds 'B' Squadron Shropshire Yeomanry
‘4th Battalion The King’s (Shropshire Light Infantry); B Company, Egerton Drill Hall, New street.’ (Kelly, 1913)
We believe the Drill Hall has been demolished.
The photograph shows the Whitchurch Rifle Volunteer Company outside the Egerton Hall in about 1900. They were part of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion, whose companies wore the distinctive grey uniform shown here. This was an early attempt at camouflage.
The photograph is reproduced by permission of the Shropshire Regimental Museum, Shrewsbury.