2nd Volunteer Battalion South Staffordshire
Queen's Own Royal Regiment of Staffordshire Imperial Yeomanry
Kelly, 1904, states: 'Walsall is the head quarters of the 2nd Volunteer
Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment; a large drill hall was erected
in Whittimere street in 1866, at a cost of £1,500, and adjoining
the hall are offices and armouries; the hall is also used by the
Queen's Own Royal Regiment of Staffordshire Imperial Yeomanry.'
On November 30 1901, the 4th South Staffs were presented with South African War Medals at the Hall by Lord Dartmouth.
Rebuilt in 1910, it still stands, now a snooker hall (2005). A curious
double-ended design, the frontage is painted showing the fine detail.
Its rear end faces the back of a supermarket and is somewhat neglected.
Date plaque above entrance