1st Volunteer Battalion (D Co.) South
Kingswinford is shown as having a drill hall in Wordsley; belonging
to '1st Volunteer Battalion (D Co.) South Staffordshire Regiment.'
By 1912 Kelly's Directory advised us that 'the former Volunteer Drill
Hall has been purchased by William Haden Richardson, esq. and presented
to the village of Wordsley as a public hall.' The building still stands,
somewhat forlornly, now called Richardson hall. There is a faded stone
plaque to the front that has some reference to the Volunteers.
Detail of memorial stone
the first attempt at content
The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy