‘2nd Volunteer Battalion Suffolk Regiment; head quarters [plus E & F companies], Old Militia Barracks, Cemetery road.’ (Kelly, 1900)
‘5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment; head quarters [plus E & F companies], Old Militia Barracks, Cemetery road.’ (Kelly, 1912)
H Co. 6th (Cyclists) Battalion Suffolk Regiment; head quarters, 51 Churchgate street.’
HQ, B Squadron The Duke of York’s Own, Loyal Suffolk Hussars; ‘orderly room & stores 117 Queen’s road’ (Kelly, 1900); ‘orderly room & stores, 84 Whiting
street’ (Kelly, 1912)
‘The Territorial force stationed in the town comprises the Duke of York’s Own Loyal Suffolk Hussars, Suffolk Yeomanry [B Squadron], with an orderly room &
stores at 84 Whiting street, and the 5th Battalion Suffolk Regiment, which includes the E & F or Bury Companies, with head quarters at the Old Militia
Barracks, in Cemetery road; also H Co. 6th (Cyclist) Battalion Suffolk Regiment; 51 Churchgate.’ (Kelly, 1912)
After the Cardwell reforms of 1873, the Suffolk Regiment became part of the 32nd Military District and had its Headquarters and Depot in Bury St Edmunds. The
Keep at Gibraltar Barracks (pictured) was built in 1878 (see plaque). Nothing but the Keep remains and the rest of the Barracks site now includes wooded open
space and the West Suffolk College.
51 Churchgate street is now modern housing. We would be grateful for any information about what was there previously.
We have not yet visited Queens road and Whiting street.