1st Volunteer Battalion Suffolk Regiment; E company (Kelly, 1900)
4th Battalion Suffolk Regiment; F company (Kelly, 1912)
ds 'D' Squadron Suffolk Hussars
A reference from 1891 records that ‘The 3RD BATTALION OF THE 7TH SUFFOLK RIFLE VOLUNTEERS (100 strong) drill at the Drill Hall and Boys’ School playground, and have a shooting range at Mr. Capon’s farm.’
According to the Character Appraisal, Halesworth Conservation Area, published by Waveney District Council, February 2006:
“The Rifle Hall was built as a theatre in 1792 for the David Fisher Company who used it until 1850. It became a volunteer infantry drill hall after circa 1862 and was extended and re-fronted to the design of Bottle & Olley in 1892 in red brick, with stone dressings, quoins and banding to the gable ends in the style initiated by the nineteenth century architect, Norman Shaw. The façade has a stone cartouche in the gable spandrel, a large five light window with a basket arched head at first floor level with leaded lights and glazing bars. There is a central entrance door with a basket arch under a flat stone canopy with frieze and cornice supported on consoles. Each side of the door are three light windows. The forecourt is enclosed by a low brick wall and entrance is approached vie stone steps. The building is of special national historic interest and local architectural interest.” (Page a1/10)
We understand that the premises that became the Rifle Hall were presented to the town by the family of Captain Andrew Johnston, of the Rifle Corps.
We have also found a reference to a business based at “The Old Drill Hall”, Market Place and would be grateful for any information about these premises.