A Company, 5th Territorial Force Battalion The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regiment)
‘There is a drill hall, with armoury, for the A Company of the 5th Territorial Force Battalion The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey
Regiment) in  Chart lane, with residence for the sergeant-instructor.’ (Kelly, 1913)
The premises were offered for sale in The Times, Saturday, May 21st 1887:
‘By direction of the Trustee of Col. W. Dunkley
Paine, deceased. REIGATE, Surrey.-Important Freehold Property, comprising the DRILL HALL of the 2d S. R. V., with the spacious
skating rink or tennis court adjoining, both having asphalt floors, and gardens and premises; also the armoury and drill
sergeant’s residence in Chart-road, the whole producing a nominal rent of £66 a year.’
We have been informed that the drill hall was in use by a Royal Engineers TA squadron (bomb disposal) in 2006.
The Drill Hall on Chart Lane is still standing. The atmospheric picture of the Drill Hall on Boxing Day, 1927, has been supplied from http://www.oldreigate.com
and reproduced with permission. We are very grateful to Paul Waters for his help.