2nd Volunteer Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment (A & B Companies); depot, South street (Kelly, 1899)
ds 'A' 4 Royal Sussex
According to the Cuckfield Historic Character Assessment, 2005, (Sussex Extensive Urban Survey),
the old workhouse in Ockenden lane, Cuckfield was used as a drill hall from 1845 to 1872, when it
became the county court.
Kelly, 1899, records: '2nd Volunteer Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment (A & B Companies); depot,
South street; strength, 190.' The building was shared by the Cuckfield Club, established in 1878,
which 'occupies premises at the Armoury of the local volunteer battalion in South street'.