Left section of the 5th, and part of the 6th Sussex Batteries, 2nd Home Counties Brigade Royal Field Artillery, drill hall, Rock-a-Nore road
5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment; head quarters [and A Co.], Middle street
(References Kelly, 1911)
Locations: the 1909 OS map shows the seafront Drill Hall on Rock-a-Nore road in between the Fishermen’s Church and the Mortuary; and the Middle street Drill Hall is shown on the 1910 OS map as the last marked property at the south east end of the street.
The story of the part-time soldiers and their drill halls in Hastings is detailed, and we have placed in on its own page here