Ninfield

Drill Hall, Lunsford cross

ds 6th Sussex Battery 2nd Home Counties Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

A local newspaper (which we believe to be the Bexhill Advertiser), 1892, refers to Ninfield drill hall in Lunsford Cross. There is a Volunteer Drill Shed shown on the 1874 and 1878 OS maps, and marked as Drill Shed on the 1889 OS Map, just south of the hamlet of Lower Street, on the road that is now Bexhill Road (A269), and adjoining a small track that runs west-east. By 1931 a building with the same footprint is shown as the Memorial Hall.

(Note: by way of location, Lunsford Cross Farm is further along the Bexhill road this drill shed is not literally at Lunsford Cross, but at Lower Street.)

East Sussex Record Office holds: NINFIELD - Altered apportionment PAR430/21/3/2 19 Sep 1930 Former reference: PAR430/21/3/2. Contents: Drill shed, house-plots and land at Lower Street (various owners).
Photograph not available
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy