Royal East Kent (The Duke of Connaught's Own) (Mounted Rifles) Yeomanry (D Squadron [Ashford troop] *See note 1
Kent Royal Fortress Engineers (B Company), head quarters, Drill hall *See note 2 below.
E, F & H Companies 5th (Weald of Kent) Battalion (The Buffs) East Kent Regiment, Territorial force (Kelly,
H Company, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 1st Volunteer Battalion (Kelly, 1891)
F Company, Kent Cyclist Battalion (Kelly, 1913)
2nd Home Counties Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps; head quarters [and B Section], Drill hall (Kelly,
Ashford Company Kent National Reserve.
*Note 1: Kelly, 1903 gives 44 Sussex avenue and Kelly, 1913 gives 46 Sussex avenue
*Note 2: Also given in Kelly, 1913 as '2 Works Company'
According to Kelly's Directory of Kent, 1913, Ashford's Drill Hall and Territorial Headquarters, New Town road, was
erected in 1910 by the Kent County Territorial Association for the use of the various Territorial units stationed
in the town, which consisted of D Squadron Royal East Kent Yeomanry, B Company Kent Fortress Royal Engineers, 5th
(The Weald of Kent) Battalion The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) and E, F & H Companies of the Regiment, headquarters
of the 2nd Home Counties Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps, F Company Cyclist Battalion and Ashford Company
Kent National Reserve.
The drill hall stood near the railway station in Newtown Road. It was used as a sorting office for the Post Office
until its demolition in 1991, replaced by the International Rail Terminal.
It has been suggested that the Norwood street premises, built during the late 1880s, were demolished in the 1960s
and a police station stands on the site.