Drill Hall Merstowe Green
'D' 8 Worcestershire
Listed in Kelly 1900 and Kelly 1912.
Between 1901 and 1914, the Volunteers Company used the Trumpet Inn,
Merstowe Green, as its drill hall. The company was commanded by Captain
Harry of Bridge House.
The facade of the building has been extensively modified, but there
appears to be evidence of the older parts of the building at the rear.
'D' Company 8th Worcestershire Regiment
Kelly records that the staple industry in the area around Evesham
was market gardening; it was famous for fruit, vegetables, asparagus
and flowers. It can be assumed, therefore, that many young men could
have chosen not to join up, but to stay and work in the local agriculture.
However, many presented themselves for active service and local accounts
record that the Volunteers left the Drill Hall in Bengeworth on 5th
August, 1914, marching to the station on their way to their first
The drill hall is no longer adjacent to fields, but to a well-established,
well cared-for early council housing development. The building is
in use as Bengeworth Sports and Social Club. Photographs updated May 2007.
to Worcestershire index page
The Trumpet Inn
Bengeworth - Front & side elevations
Bengeworth - Front elevation
Bengeworth - detail of entrance.
the first attempt at content
The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy