Stourport

Lion Hill

'C' coy 7 Worcestershire Regt

'C' coy 7 Worcestershire Regt Stourport's drill hall stands on Lion Hill. Details from the agent's particulars produced for its sale in 2002 offer a drill hall (80'5" x 40'2" with rooms and cloaks off) and a two storey dwelling house, originally the home of the sergeant instructor. A requirement of the sale was 'the removal, intact, of the stone tablet commemorating the opening of the premises' in 1911, which also proclaimed it was the home of [half of] 'C' coy 7 Worcestershire Regt. It is understood that the local firm Thomas Vale built the premises, from plans by Pritchard & Pritchard, and according to Kelly's 1912 directory, 'at a cost of 1,700.

' Previously the 1st Volunteers had their 'head quarters & armoury, Mart lane.' (Kelly 1900) Stourport's drill hall stands on Lion Hill. Details from the agent's particulars produced for its sale in 2002 offer a drill hall (80'5" x 40'2" with rooms and cloaks off) and a two storey dwelling house, originally the home of the sergeant instructor. A requirement of the sale was 'the removal, intact, of the stone tablet commemorating the opening of the premises' in 1911, which also proclaimed it was the home of [half of] 'C' coy 7 Worcestershire Regt. It is understood that the local firm Thomas Vale built the premises, from plans by Pritchard & Pritchard, and according to Kelly's 1912 directory, 'at a cost of 1,700.' Previously the 1st Volunteers had their 'head quarters & armoury, Mart lane.' (Kelly 1900)

Stourport, front


Stourport, side



Stourport, rear



Stourport, opening plaque



Stourport, Worcestershire plaque

© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy