E, F 4 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Yorkshire Light Infantry (King’s Own) 4th Battalion E and F Companies Headquarters Bath Street (Kelly, 1912)
ds 'B' Squadron Yorkshire Dragoons
An article in the Bulletin of the Military Historical Society refers to the laying of the foundation stone for an armoury and drill hall for the Dewsbury Volunteers on 23rd May 1868, by the wife of Lt. Col. Day of Knowle House, Mirfield. The drill hall, now known as the barracks, was opened on 12th June 1869.
In 1859, there was a national appeal for Rifle Volunteer Corps to be established. Dewsbury responded by forming the 29th West Riding of Yorkshire Rifle Volunteer Corps, originally using premises in Westgate. The Drill Hall in Bath street and adjoining Malkroyd road was established in January 1869, with a 300 yard rifle range at Earlsheaton.
According to a history of the Dewsbury Volunteers by Christopher Frank, published on the nowthen website, (from which this information is extracted), this unit was “... absorbed into The 5th Battalion The West Riding of Yorkshire Rifle Volunteers (1880) and the 1st Volunteer Battalion The King’s Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment) (1883)” before becoming part of the 1st Volunteer Battalion The King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI) in 1888.
In 1897, the disused public baths adjoining the drill shed was bought and the drill hall facilities were extended.
We understand that the premises are now a faith school but this has not been confirmed.
Photographs courtesy of Roger Thompson