6th W Riding Battery 2nd W Riding Brigade RFA
6th West Riding Battery Royal Field Artillery - Artillery Street (Kelly, 1912)
A report in the Illustrated London News, June 22nd, 1867, describes the opening of the drill hall for the West Yorkshire Artillery Volunteers, ‘by the liberality of the Commanding Officer’, Lt Col C H Firth, a partner of a blanket manufacturing firm at Flush.
‘Externally, it has a simple front of brick, with stepped gables and corbelled turrets projecting at the angles, and with a battlemented wall in front, inclosing a space where the sergeant’s lodge is to stand.
‘The drill-hall ... is 135 ft. long, 58 ft. wide and 50 ft. high. It has an open roof of timber, with semi-circular arched ribs, 11 ft. apart. The walls are divided by panels corresponding with the bays of the roof. They are of red brick, pointed, and finished with a border of wood all round.
‘Light is obtained from a central skylight extending nearly the full length of the building, and provision is made for ventilation by numerous openings in the side and ends of the building, made to open and close. the floor is macadamised, and set with a layer of fine brick ashes. The building is warmed by hot-air flues traversing the floor in every direction.
‘In a recess at one side of the building is an officers’ room, 22 ft. by 9 ft; the armoury, 33 ft. by 9 ft.; the smiths’ room and store-room; and over the whole a gallery looking into and approached by a staircase from the main hall.’
Read the whole article here
There is no sign of the drill hall on Artillery street.