4th Battalion Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment) (G Co.); rifle ranges, East crescent (Kelly, 1913)
ds 'G' 4 Prince of Wales’ Own Yorkshire Regiment
According to the Loftus Parish Directory, published March 2006, a former mid-19th century candle factory behind 6 – 10 Victoria terrace (which backs on to East crescent) was used as a drill hall and firing range during the Great War. Candle-making there had ended in the 1890s. The building eventually fell into disuse and disrepair, and was demolished, though apparently the old stones have been incorporated into the new development and a plaque will tell the story of the former building.
The North East Archive, for February 17th, 2005, reported on the fate of the former drill hall. The piece mentioned the builder, Thomas Rowland, who also erected a row of cottages, Rowland’s Terrace, opposite East Crescent, for his workers. ‘Candle-making ceased around 1895. Later, the building was used as Loftus fire station and by joiners and undertakers. In the First World War, it was used as a drill hall and firing range.’