‘Territorial force Battalion (5th) Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment) (H Co.), Drill hall, Old Maltongate.’
(Kelly, 1913) A Company 2nd V.B. Yorkshire Regiment ‘is stationed here numbering about 80.’
2nd Volunteer Battalion Alexandra princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment) A Company – Old Maltongate (Bulmer, 1890)
ds 'B' Squadron Yorkshire Hussars
ds Yorkshire Mounted Brigade Coy ASC
Malton’s history is recorded in ‘Baker’s Chronology of Local Events’. This remarkable manuscript contains several references to the Volunteers and, post-1908, the Territorials. We have picked out the following examples.
7th June,1870: Volunteer inspection at Malton – 350 under arms
9th January 1887: Opening of Drill Hall for Malton Volunteers by Major Druce. End of a five week storm today; hunting stopped all that time.
It is clear from the Chronology that the annual camps were taking place further afield, though a march of 70 miles seems to have been accepted. By the early 20th century, destinations such as Yarmouth and Conwy are noted.
1st February 1906: Opening of new Volunteer club at the Drill Hall, Old Maltongate.
1910: The Territorials paraded with local officials in the Market Place to mark the funeral of Edward VII on 20th May.
‘Baker’s Chronology’ is transcribed at Malton History
and the references are reproduced by permission of John Blanchard. Thank you.
The Malton and Norton Community website says that, ‘The Drill Hall on Old Maltongate was the British School, and used by the Volunteer Battalion (2nd) Princess of Wales’ Own York Regiment (A Company)
(1905)’. It also mentions Greengate: ‘The Infant School was run by Mr. Amos Livesy ... Mr. T. Hodgson - Builder & Contractor (1889) had a Stone-yard which had taken over from his father. Later, a Drill Hall as erected on the site for the 5th Battalion of the Green Howards.’
There is a drill hall shown on a 1950 street map as Greengate (east side). We would welcome further information about its status.