1st Volunteer Battalion Alexandra Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment)
F Company – Armoury, Alma Parade (Kelly, 1905)
‘4th Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment) (F Co.); Drill hall, 80 High street.’
This drill hall shares an address with the Globe Hotel (Bulmer’s Directory, 1890), which appears to confirm a quotation we have been sent by a local resident. He reports that he came across it in a ‘Remember When’
section of his local paper.
The piece recalls a Drill Hall located on Redcar High Street that was once the Globe Hotel. It goes on to state that it would have a familiar lay-out to the local men (Yorkshire Regiment) as it was the local bar before the licence was withdrawn in 1910 when the local authorities attempted to reduce the number of liquor outlets.
It goes on to state to the right as they entered was the bar,toilets and store, with an amoury of more than 100 weapons, autility room and an office for the Officer commanding. On the left was a snooker and games room and adoor into the rear yard and drill hall. The upstairs rooms were occupied by the sergeant major, appointed to train the men.
The drill hall was demolished (date unknown) and the site is occupied by a bicycle shop.
Thank you to Kevin on the Great War Forum for the information.