A local rifle corps was established at Selby in 1862, bur it was soon obvious that a drill room and armoury was necessary. “The site was generously given by Lord Londesborough; the sum of £450 was raised by donations, and in the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone by Lord Londesborough, on the 21st May, 1864, a bazaar was held in aid of the project, the proceeds of which amounted to £765, making the total amount raised above £1200.” (The History of Selby)
Lord Londesborough, the Lieut.Colonel of the 1st West York Administrative Battalion of Volunteers, opened the premises on 17th February, 1865. The drill room was 80 feet long by 40 feet wide and there was a generous residence provided for the drill sergeant. At that point there were 105 men and five officers, including a captain, lieutenant, ensign, assistant surgeon and honorary chaplain.
The architect was Edward Taylor of York and the builder was John Adams, of Selby.
We are grateful to Mick Gallagher for providing these extracts from “The History of Selby” by W W Morrell, 1865.