Yorkshire Hussars (Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own) Yeomanry
6th and 7th companies 1st East Riding of Yorkshire, Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers)
1st East Riding of Yorkshire Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) [Head quarters – Scarborough] York Companies 6 and 7 – head quarters Tower Street (Kelly, 1912)
HQ, Battery and the Ammunition Column of the West Riding Brigade RGA
Yorkshire Mounted Brigade Company ASC
HQ Company West Riding ASC
HQ, A, B, C 5 Prince of Wales Own Yorkshire
(Please see individual unit locations for details.)
According to Kelly 1889, Tower Street opened in 1885. Kelly, 1905, records that, ‘The 6th and 7th companies of the 1st East Riding of Yorkshire, Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers) have their quarters in Tower Street, where there is a Drill Hall opened in 1885.’
‘Yorkshire Hussars (Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own) Yeomanry, having head quarters of the Regiment in Tower street, B Squadron at Bedern and the C Squadron East Riding Yorkshire Yeomanry having quarters at Stratton house, Fulford.’
Lumley Barracks was erected in 1911 to plans by W. H. Brierley (according to the Yorkshire Herald, 14 November, 1911) and provided premises for HQ, Battery and the Ammunition Column of the West Riding Brigade RGA. It has been demolished for housing
Colliergate opened in 1872. Kelly, 1913, records this as Headquarters, A, B, C 5th Battalion, Prince of Wales Own Yorkshire Regiment.
English Heritage listing records say that it was designed in the late 19th century by Gould and Fisher for the First West Yorkshire (York) Rifle Volunteer Battalion. The inscription above the doorway reads ‘Pro aris et focis’ (‘For our altars and our home’)
The Colliergate Drill Hall is on the corner of Colliergate and St Andrewgate. In the 19th century, it was a house, then an inn with stable yard and, from 1872, military premises. Later it was used as a Territorial Army office. According to English Heritage, the inn facade was retained and the drill hall built on the stableyard, accessed from St Andrewgate.
The drill hall was designed by Gould and Fisher for the First West Yorkshire (York) Rifle Volunteer Battalion. It has an attractively dressed red and white brick facade.
The foundation stone is obscure but it is possible to see the inscription: "STONE/ FOR THIS DRILL HALL AND ARMOUR / FOR THE 1ST WEST YORKSHIRE (YORK)/ RIFLE VOLUNTEERS/ WAS LAID BY/..." .
The Colliergate Drill Hall is a Grade II Listed Building.
Thank you to lisa[at]yorkstories.co.uk for the photographs of the Colliergate Drill Hall.