ds 'D' Squadron Pembroke Yeomanry -
Cardiganshire Battery 2nd Welsh Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery Glyndwr
According to W J Lewis, 'Born on a Perilous Rock: Aberystwyth Past
and Present' *, there were two military bodies in Aberystwyth history:
first, the Cardiganshire Militia (which seems to go back to the Middle
Ages); and second, the Volunteers. The latter were first formed in
1860 as 'Cardiganshire Volunteer Rifle Corps'. In 1901 they were reformed
as the Cardiganshire Artillery Volunteers and redesignated the Cardiganshire
Royal Garrison Artillery Volunteers the following year. In 1908 they
were transferred into the new Territorial Force and known as the Cardiganshire
Battery, 2nd Welsh Brigade, Royal Field Artillery.
There were two Volunteers companies, one in Tal-y-bont and the other
in Aberystwyth. The Aberystwyth company drilled on the Sand Marsh
and moved north as that was built over. The Town Hall served as their
armoury. Their shooting range was at Craiglais (bottom of Constitution
Hill) and manoeuvres were held on the beach.
In 1904 the new Drill Hall in Glyndwr Road, off Park Avenue was opened.
* Cambrian News (Aberystwyth) Ltd, third edition, 1980, p. 213-7
the first attempt at content
The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy