4th Welsh Brigade Royal Field Artillery
1st Monmouthshire Battery, 4th Welsh Ammunition Column
Monmouthshire (1st) Artillery Volunteers (Position Artillery)
1st Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment; head quarters [plus A, B, C
& D Cos.]
2nd Volunteer Battalion South Wales Borderers
D, E and F companies of the 4th Volunteer Battalion
ds 1st Welsh Field Ambulance RAMC
Gloucestershire (Royal Gloucestershire Hussars) Yeomanry, C Squadron
1st Monmouthshire Battery, 4th Welsh Ammunition Column - Lime street,
Pill. (Also listed as Mendelgief street)
Monmouthshire (1st) Artillery Volunteers - Drill hall, Artillery place
1st Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment [& A,B,C & D Companies.] HQ - Drill
hall, 13 Stow hill.
2nd Volunteer Battalion SWB - HQ Albert Hall, Stow hill
4th Volunteer Battalion (D,E,F0 HQ headquarters in Caroline street.'
Gloucestershire (Royal Gloucestershire Hussars) Yeomanry, C Squadron,
103 Caerleon road.'
The addresses at Artillery place, Albert Hall, Stow Hill and Caroline street were sourced from Kelly, 1895. Lime street and Caerleon road are recorded in Kelly, 1914.
The first drill hall was erected in 1867, in Dock Street. After that,in 1875, the Royal Albert Hall (Drill Hall) in Stow Hill was opened.
The Star of Gwent. 30th May, 1874, reported:
"On Whit Sunday the members
of the 1st Mon. Artillery Volunteers attended a church parade. It
was hoped that there would be a good muster, and considering the
facilities for holiday-making and getting out of town at this time
of year, no complaint must be made in this respect. There were about
eighty men on parade. The roll having been called, they started
from the Drill Hall in East Market Street at 10.30, headed by the
band of the Corps; they marched along Dock Street, Commercial Street
and Stow Hill to St. Woolos where an impressive service was held."