Royal Horse Artillery, Berkshire Battery, Yeomanry house, Castle hill;
Headquarters, Battery and Ammunition Column (Kelly 1914)
HQ,B Squadron Berkshire Yeomanry
2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade Company ASC
‘Princess Charlotte of Wales’s (Royal Berkshire Regiment), 1st Volunteer Battalion; head quarters of battalion & A, B & C & mounted [V] companies, 22 Friar street, Reading.’ (Kelly 1887)
‘Princess Charlotte of Wales’ (Royal Berkshire Regiment), (4th Battalion, comprising A,B,C,D,E,F,G & H Companies; head quarters of battalion & A & B companies, St Mary's Butts.’ (Kelly 1914; the 1899 Directory now lists the Volunteers at this address.)
According to the Reading Directory, 1914: ‘In St Mary’s Butts are situated the head quarters of the 4th Battalion (Territorial) of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. Reading is also the head quarters of the Berks Yeomanry, the Berks Battery, Royal Horse Artillery, and the 2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade Transport and Supply Column, Army Service Corps.’
Yeomanry House was demolished in about 1995. The Records Office stands on the site of the Drill Hall.
The Friar street premises are now used by a building society. Apparently the main structure has not changed for about a hundred years. The building has recently undergone major work .
Thank you to Roland Hazell for the information on both drill halls and the pictures.