Drill Hall, Stanwell street
17 Sir Isaac’s Walk
56 Constantine road

C & D Companies 2nd Volunteer Battalion (Kelly, 1894)
Territorial Force (8th) (Cyclist) Battalion Essex Regiment; (C Co.)
Essex Yeomanry; head quarters [and A Squadron]
1 Section Battery & A Subsection and Ammunition Column l Essex Royal Horse Artillery

‘Colchester is the head quarters of the Essex Yeomanry and the 8th (Cyclist) Battalion Essex Regiment Territorial Force.’ (Kelly, 1914)

‘The Drill Hall of the C Co. 5th Territorial Force Battalion Essex Regiment, in Stanwell street, built in 1887, is a building 90 feet by 50 feet; the head quarters of the Battalion were removed to Chelmsford in May, 1912.’ (Kelly, 1914)

According to Kelly, 1914, the Headquarters of Territorial Force (8th) (Cyclist) Battalion Essex Regiment; (C Co.) were variously at 17 Sir Isaac's walk and 56 Constantine road, and the drill hall at Stanwell street. The Essex Yeomanry head quarters [and A Squadron] were located at 17 Sir Isaac's walk.

An earlier reference, in Kelly 1894, is to ‘C & D Companies 2nd Volunteer Battalion: the property of Col. William Howard.’
Photograph not available
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy