D Company 5th Territorial force Battalion Gloucestershire regiment
has its quarters here [Drill hall, Back of Avon]; 1 officer and 63
men on the rolls in 1913. A new Drill hall was opened in 1905 at a
cost of £600, raised by public subscription; it has a large hall 72
feet by 33½ feet, a gymnasium, armoury and store room; on the wall
is a tablet with a roll of honour to the men who volunteered their
services in South Africa, and was presented by Capt. and Mrs. Devereux.'