3rd King's Own Staffordshire Rifle
Regiment, later 'G' Coy 5 North Staffordshire Regiment.
According to the Keates Potteries Directory, quoted by the Victoria County History, the Militia Barracks were constructed in 1855. They are built in red brick and the Staffordshire Past Track website describes them as 'Italian styled'. There is an interesting description at British History Online
. They were used as the headquarters of a unit of the North Staffordshire Rifle Volunteers, who became 'G' Company 5th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment in 1908.
The Barracks were placed in trust for use by the Rifle Volunteers following their purchase by a Major of the regiment, W.H. Dalton, in 1882.
In the past, the barracks have been used by Remploy, an employer of people with disabilities, in accordance with a Trust agreement of 1952 that the premises should be used to benefit the community. Staffordshire Past Track records that, "In 2002 the Barracks had been let and contained small businesses." We would be grateful for any up-to-date information.
Kelly, 1904, refers to 'The Barracks, Stubbs street' for G and H Cos.