Corporation Street

C Company 6th North Staffs

The Philip Dix Centre in Corporation Street, Tamworth was originally the drill hall of C Company 6th North Staffs. Built in 1911, it was opened on 20th December 1911 by the Lord Lieutenant of the County, the Earl of Dartmouth. Now redeveloped with only the frontage remaining, it has a terracotta plaque across its entrance to remind those passing of its origins. Tamworth previously provided a base for C Co. 2VB North staffs, with an 'Armoury, Church street.' (Kelly 1904)

Front Elevation

Detail of Entrance

Detail of plaque above entrance
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy