G Co. 5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, White hill (Kelly, 1911)
'5th (Cinque Ports) Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment, G Co.; head quarters, Drill hall, Fermor road.'
(Kelly, 1914 – Tonbridge Directory)
The former drill hall on Fermor road was acquired by the East Sussex County Council in the 1960s
and had a range of occupants, including educational services. In 2004 it was considered redundant
and put up for sale, with a price of £1m for the half-acre site. The arguments for its disposal included
its poor state of repair and the cost of restoring it to satisfactory condition in comparison with
improving educational facilities elsewhere in the area. Local concerns included the loss of community
facilities which would not necessarily be replaced.
We believe this drill hall to have been the original one, but would be pleased to correct this if more
information comes to light.