Ammunition Column of the 2nd South
Midland Brigade RFA 1st Worcester Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers)
Now sadly demolished, Malvern's drill hall in Clarence Rd housed the
Ammunition Column of the 2nd South Midland Brigade RFA. They also
had two field guns which, for operational purposes, were joined to
2nd Worcester Battery, at Kidderminster. This is listed as Right Section
in Kelly's 1912 Directory.
A report in the Malvern News, October 3, 1903 reported that, 'excellent
progress is being made with the erection of the new Artillery Headquarters
in Clarence Road. A thoroughly complete and up-to-date drill station
is being provided at a cost, including the land, of about £1,800.
Mr E E Baldwin is the architect and Mr Allen the builder. It is hoped
to have the work finished by March. Everyone connected with the battery
will be glad to leave the present inconvenient station for the commodious
headquarters now in the course of construction.'
Littlebury's 1908 Directory gives 1st Worcester Royal Garrison Artillery
(Volunteers) 2nd Battery as its first occupants, in the Artillery
Drill Sheds after the railway bridge.
A century ago, in 1904, the Gazette devoted a lot of space to the
visit of Lieutenant General Sir John French to officially open the
drill hall of the Artillery Battery, recently built in Clarence Road.
"The town gave him a very hearty reception," the Gazette was pleased
to report. "The route along which he passed was gaily decorated, the
crowd was large and enthusiastic, and the whole of the proceedings
were of a most auspicious character."
Lunch at the Imperial Hotel, now the Malvern Girls' College, was followed
by the opening ceremony at the hall itself. "Sir John, who was enthusiastically
cheered, said it had given him the greatest possible pleasure to come
to Malvern for the purpose of opening that Drill Station. He thought
the people of the town were to be very much congratulated upon the
show of loyalty, patriotism and love of country which had made the
volunteer movement not only in that town but throughout the country,"
the Gazette reported.
The drill hall has now gone, having been demolished a few years ago
to make way for a housing development. Nonetheless, a plaque remains,
to show the site of the building opened by Sir John French on May
Malvern also provided premises for a drill station for 'C' company
8th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment on the corner of Como Road and
Albert Park Road, Malvern, which was demolished in July 2003 to make
way for five homes. It had an interesting history, despite its unassuming
appearance. Mick Wilks, a volunteer with the county archaeological
service, had researched the building's history.
The hall was built by the 11th (Malvern) Corps of the 2nd Administrative
Battalion of the Worcestershire Rifle Volunteers. Mr Wilks's researches
indicate the hall was built around 1867, and that it was financed
by corps members, who numbered about 100. They formed a Drill Shed
Company Ltd, with capital of £1,000 in £1 shares raised from members
of the corps. "With an average shareholding each of £10, the Volunteers
were very likely to have been a middle-class organisation," said Mr
The rifle corps practised at a range in West Malvern. From the 1870s,
they shared the hall with Malvern Artillery Volunteers, who used Castlemorton
Common as their firing range. Kelly 1900 lists the premises as headquarters
Malvern was also the location of ds 'C' Sqn Worcestershire Hussars.