Batley - West Riding

Drill Hall, Bradford road west

'G' 4 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
Yorkshire Light Infantry (4th Battalion) G Company – Bradford Road West

Kelly, 1912, confirms the Bradford road west address. The TA ceased use of the building in about 1973/4 (to be confirmed). The drill hall became the Yorkshire Fire Museum, now demolished. There is now a supermarket car park on the site. [2008]

The photograph in the newspaper cutting shows the ‘old’ drill hall in Batley. This was demolished over two decades ago and a supermarket stands on the site.

The activities of the drill hall were transferred to Intake Lane, Birstall, along with a company of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.

There is a photograph of the Intake Lane drill hall on the Birstall page.

Thank you to Roger Thompson for the information.
Thumbnail image of article 1913
Newspaper Article from on the proposed future of the Drill Hall. View
Image courtesy of Roger Thompson
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy