Wakefield - West Riding

Drill hall, Vicarage street

'B' Squadron Yorkshire Dragoons
HQ, A, B 4 King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
HQ, A Section Yorkshire Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance Royal Army Medical Corps

‘The B Squadron of the Yorkshire Dragoons (Queen’s Own) Yeomanry Territorial Force have their head quarters at the Drill Hall in Vicarage Street. The Yorkshire Mounted Brigade Field Ambulance, R.A.M.C. have also head quarters here.’ (Kelly)

‘The Head-quarters of the 4th Territorial Force Battalion of the King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in Bank Street, is a spacious building containing drill hall, armoury, recreation and orderly rooms, and officers’ quarters, with an adjacent drill ground.’ (Kelly)

The Wakefield detachment in 1912 numbered 320 men. (Kelly)

An article in Military Historical Society Bulletin 11/03 refers to the laying of the foundation stone for an armoury and drill hall for the Wakefield (5th West York) Volunteers on 17th April 1865

The Wakefield Drill hall has been demolished. [2008] Thank you to Roger Thompson for the updated information and photos.
Wakefield - Vicarage Street Drill Hall - 1

Wakefield  - Vicarage Street Drill Hall - 2

 - Vicarage Street Drill Hall - 3
© All material is copyright - refer to the Terms of Use

the first attempt at content

The Drill Hall Project - Charting a neglected legacy