Slaters' Directory, 1880, records the
existence of militia barracks at Rosemary Lane and notes the presence
of the Royal Anglesey Engineers. It is not clear whether the Engineers
were based at these barracks.
The local newspaper, Y Clorianydd, reports a dinner provided by
the Mayor and Mayoress for the members of the militia on their departure
for the Boer War. The Mayoress presented the men with pipes and
tobacco. The troop of 25 men of the Royal Anglesey Engineers left
the barracks at 5 pm, led by the Bangor Volunteers' Band and eventually
sailed from Southampton.