'D' 5 Prince of Wales’ Own Yorkshire
Drill and Armoury in Brook Street: ‘Here is a large and handsome drill hall, built in 1862, at a cost of about £1,300, and serving as the headquarters of the 1st West Riding Yorkshire Volunteers.’ (Kelly, 1881)
Elsewhere this is referred to as the head-quarters of the D Company 5th Territorial Force Battalion of the Prince of Wales’s Own (West Yorkshire Regiment).
This drill hall is now the Al-Murad Decorating Centre. (July 2008) There are no remaining original internal features, but the attractive exterior has been well maintained. The original doors at the rear are an interesting feature.
We are grateful to the proprietor for allowing us to take photographs.
Some information regarding the history of this drill hall was published in “The History of Selby” by W W Morrell, 1865. We are grateful to Mick Gallagher for providing the archive drawing
and the extracts from this text